The Greta James Memorial Scholarship for the future medical professionals of tomorrow.
Greta James (1942-1995) was a night shift LPN and the mother of John James, M.D., the founder of Scrub Shopper.
She came to nursing later in life, earning her LPN degree at the age of 40. Her career in started simply as a job to generate additional family income, but nursing quickly became her passion. She was best known for her caring bedside manner and compassionate spirit.
When her son decided to pursue a career in medicine, she required him to work summers as a nurse’s aide. She felt that many doctors lacked respect for nurses, and realized that delivering direct patient care under their guidance would instill this respect in her son. It worked.
Sadly, Greta passed away three months before her son was accepted into medical school.
Her legacy lives on through this scholarship given each semester to nursing students with compelling non-traditional stories and passion for changing lives through the nursing profession.
To be eligible, students must:
- Be enrolled in medical degree seeking programs (Ex: ADN or BSN) at an accredited university
- Provide transcripts from accredited school
- Fill out 2 essays highlighting financial need and leadership within their community
- Scholarship is open to all legal residents, who reside and attend school in the United States
- For the fall 2017 semester, students my apply by April 18th. The winners will be notified by July 1, 2017
- We'll provide up-to 4 scholarships each semester for $500 (limit 1 scholarship per recipient)
- Only one application per student per scholarship period
- Once submitted, online applications cannot be modified